How to Participate...Non-Profit Organizations
Content as a PDF file
“Without community service, we would not have a strong quality of life. It's important to the person who serves as well as the recipient. It's the way in which we ourselves grow and develop.”
– Dorothy Height
The Edmonton Peace Festival is a celebration of our shared wish for a better world. It is an opportunity to look at the things that have been done over the years to help create a more peaceful, just and sustainable world, and to note the things that still need to be done. It's a time to rededicate our commitment to a more peaceful community and planet.
It is important to recognize and value the contribution that non-government organizations (NGOs) can make in building peace. Peace is about community--about encouraging and helping each other to live better, more fulfilling lives. The Peace Festival is an annual opportunity for NGOs to draw attention to their ongoing peace building and life improving activities.
The work of community NGOs furthers social transformation that enables the development of systems under which social and political equality and economic justice for all can be attained to ensure real and lasting peace and true freedom.
The Peace Festival provides individuals and organizations with opportunities to build peace and a sense of our common humanity through volunteering/service and learning about humanitarian and environmental issues affecting communities close to home and across the world. NGOs can use the Peace Festival to raise awareness of the need for peace locally and around the world and also to celebrate the peace that has been achieved so far.
Edmonton NGO and Non-Profit Organizations are invited to plan events which will take place during the Peace Festival. Here are just a few ideas of what might be possible:
- Plan an Awareness Campaign. Let the community know how your organization contributes to a culture of
peace and social justice through your ongoing efforts
- Organize a volunteer recruitment drive during the Peace Festival. We hope that the Peace Festival will
inspire many citizens to look for ways that they can contribute their time and talent to the common good. - Highlight the work of your organization and the ways in which people can contribute if they volunteer
- - Plan a volunteer and donor appreciation event. The Peace Festival provides a great opportunity to show
- those who contribute to your organization with their time or finances that you are grateful for all that they
- Launch a fundraising event during the Peace Festival.
- Organize educational events around the causes that are at the heart of your organization.
- Plan an NGO Fair to bring together a number of organizations that serve the community.
“Whatever community organization, whether it's a women's organization, or fighting for racial justice … you will get satisfaction out of doing something to give back to the community that you never get in any other way.”
- Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Participation Suggestions for Non-Profits PDF